Monday, September 7, 2015

The Strongest Person in the World/ Самый сильный человек на Земле.








I've been planning to write this post for a while, and right now is THE TIME to do it.

Now... First of all, you have to take a mirrow. Now look into it. Here you see: THE strongest person in the world. Yes, you. YOU!

Just let yourself be strong. Choose to be strong. Don't choose to be weak. Because ultimately it always comes to this choice. You may think you don't have this choice. But you ALWAYS DO! As long as you are alive, you always have the choice. Just accept that. Even if it seems unbelievable right now. Just believe!

I've got enough sh*t in my life. I had a terrible first marriage, a divorce, a miscarriage, then bad doctors screwed up with my son's delivery and he has a pretty severe case of cerebral palsy. Then I lost my father and my younger sister. This all led me to some unpleasant health problems: migraines, hives and ... panic attacks.

Yeah, panic attacks. They are probably the worst because they are aimed  at making you weak. They make you scared of going crazy, of having a heart attack, of fainting and even dying. They paralyse you, they interfere with your normal lifestyle, making even stupid everyday activities a really hard achievement.

I had my first panick attack 2 years ago at this exact time of year. End of summer. Perhaps it is because all the challenging and tragic events in my life also happened around this time as well. My father died on August 10. My son was born with complications on September 19. My sister died on August 12. And her body was discovered on September 8. And a year later, here I am, going through panic attacks again.

And now I get that the only way for me to survive is to be strong. Being weak is much easier, of course. And much more satisfying! You feel sorry for yourself, you hide at home because it feels like the only safe place in the world for you. You escape any activities, any interactions with the world around you. What else is there to do? Of course, there is therapy and medication, BUT they only help under one condition: you stay strong!

And staying strong means getting on with your life in spite of the panic attacks. It means going into the damn subway and riding it even with that dreadful feeling of about to faint, or to go crazy, or to die. It means fighting the urge to "escape" at every stop the train makes until you achieve your destination.

Or, being strong means driving the car even if you despise the feeling you get when doing it. I get behind the weel and Here it comes: the dreadful feeling of dizziness, unreality, and the urge to stop and call for help. This is actually how I had my first panic attack 2 years ago: I was driving in the city, in a street where I drove thousand times before, and there it hit me: fear and panic, the urge to stop.

Would you believe that I actually love driving?! I do! That looks like the destiny's weird irony that I have panic attacks while doing something I love the most. Ok I don't really know how to explain that. I've read million articles on panic attacks, I know their chemistry, but it is much more important to understand the nature of "being afraid without actual danger". Perhaps it is stress and tiredness? Perhaps it is your soul feeling hurt and unattended, so it calles out for help using this imaginary fear...

As I started the topic of panic attacks, I'd also share a few tips I use when they "attack".

1. Write in my phone. If I ride a subway and begin having a panic attack, I take out my pnone and start writing. Not thinking, just writing. You have no idea, how many of the posts on this blog were born this way! Probably, being strong has a "side-effect": productivity!

2. Work-out. If a panic attack hits me at home, I hop on the elliptical trainer and just exercise till the physics tiredness overcomes the feeling of panic. I rented this trainer just a week ago and I couldn't be happier: it helps me work-out any time at home without having to go to the gym!

3. Drink water. Whenever a panic attack hits me, I start drinking water. I drink it like crazy, in huge amounts, but somehow it helps!

4. Take a Validol (Menthyl isovalerate) pill. This is a very simple harmless medication you put under your tongue to disolve quickly. I contains menthol and glucose, is very refreshing and energizing. It is also supposed to dilate your blood vessels and help your heart, but nowadays it is highly debated, so I don't know. But for panic attacks, this pill is my savior!

5. Look at yourself in the mirror. Somehow, seeing your reflection, looking ALL-RIGHT, helps to fight the dreadful feeling of about to faint, to go crazy or to die! You just see your own face, same as usual, normal and well. That's how you realize it is all in your head!

6. That's the main trick about panic attack: treat them as something imaginary. And you don't let your decisions, your activities in life be determined by some IMAGINARY crap, do you?! So, here comes the main tip: whenever a panic attack hits, keep reminding yourself that it is all in your head.

7. And the last one: smile. Even if that is the last thing you feel like doing - keep a smile on your face. Just physically put a smile on. Even if it seems like the hardest thing in the world. Just smile!

So, this post came up different, difficult and personal. Just wanted to share what helps me. Yes, that's what I do: I go through life reminding myself that I am strong and not weak. One remark though: I am not giving any credit to panic attacks - it is not them that make me strong. They are like parasites, trying to weaken me. The strength is all INSIDE ME. And You! You were born with it. You are human, you have a soul, and strength is inside of it!


Этот пост я собиралась написать давно, и вот момент настал. Самый подходящий момент, чтобы написать пост о силе. 

А теперь возьмите зеркало и посмотритесь в него. Вот и ответ на вопрос. Вы! Самый сильный человек на Земле - это Вы!

Нужно просто разрешить себе быть сильным. Нужно сделать выбор - быть сильным. Сделать выбор не быть слабым. В итоге все сводится именно к этому выбору: быть сильным или быть слабым.  Вам может казаться, что у вас нет выбора. Но вот как раз таки он есть всегда! Пока вы живы, у вас есть выбор. Это нужно просто принять как аксиому. Просто смириться с тем, что так. Даже если в данный момент это кажется невероятным. Просто нужно поверить.

В моей жизни было и есть достаточно всякого г..на. Неудачный первый брак, выкидыш, тяжелые роды и диагноз моего сына, смерть отца, смерть сестры, и куча всяких неприятностей со здоровьем: мигрени, крапивница и панические атаки.

Да, панические атаки. Из всех проблем со здоровьем, с которыми мне пришлось столкнуться, он - самая большая дрянь! Потому что их цель - сделать вас слабее. Они заставляют бояться несуществующих угроз: упасть, сойти с ума,  умереть. Они парализуют, они мешают жить нормальной жизнью, превращая повседневные дела в достижения, дающиеся ценой невероятной усилий.

Впервые со мной случилась паническая атака ровно 2 года назад - в конце лета. Понятия не имею, почему. Возможно, дело в том, что все самые тяжелые и трагические события в моей жизни произошли именно в это время: мой сын родился 19 сентября, мой отец умер 10 августа, сестра - 12-го, а узнали мы об этом 8 сентября... И вот, год спустя, у меня опять панические атаки.

И теперь я знаю, что бороться с ними можно только заставляя себя быть сильной! Конечно, есть еще таблетки и психотерапия. Я не говорю, что они не помогают. Они помогают, но при одном условии: вы постоянно заставляете себя быть сильными! 

Быть слабым, конечно, проще. Пожалеть себя, спрятаться в стенах собственного дома - потому что так спокойнее и "безопаснее".  Но это - путь в тупик. А нужно продолжать жить своей жизнью, делать свои обычные дела, как бы противно и дурно вам не становилось бы от панических атак. Да, в этом мало приятного, да, кажется, будто вы умираете, сходите с ума, мир плывет перед глазами и кружится голова. 

Да, это означает, что нужно идти в метро и ехать на нем, если нужно, даче если ноги физически отказываются туда спускаться, а в вагоне вам кажется, что не хватает воздуха, и вы сейчас задохнетесь и умрете, и на каждой станции хочется выскочить и "спастись" из-под земли.

Или, если нужно ехать на машине, нужно садиться за руль и ехать, даже если все плывет перед глазами и кажется нереальным. Самое обидное, что я очень-очень люблю водить машину. Как так получилось, что именно за рулем меня настигла самая первая паническая атака?! Наверное, это - какая злая ирония судьбы! Я вообще не понимаю эти панические атаки! Я прочитала миллион статей о них и понимаю их химию. Но гораздо важнее понимать их природу, и тут у меня загвоздка. Возможно, причина в стрессе и усталости, возможно - в том, что я привыкла сидеть дома.  В любом случае, это - определенно крик души, ее попытка обратить на себя внимание, подавая сигнал тревоги в виде "несуществующей опасности"...

Ну и заодно по делюсь некоторыми своими способами о том, как я спасаюсь при панических атаках:

1. Я пишу. Когда я еду в метро и у меня начинается паническая атака, я быстро достаю телефон и начинаю писать. Не думать, а писать все, что приходит в голову! Вы даже не представляете, сколько постов этого блога родилось таким способом!

2. Я тренируюсь. Если я дома, и меня "атакует" паническая атака - я буквально вскакиваю на тренажер и занимаюсь на нем до изнеможения, пока физическая усталость не затмит все "голоса" панической атаки. Неделю назад я взяла напрокат эллиптический тренажер, и домашние тренировки стали просты и доступны!

3. Я пью воду. Как только начинается паническая атака - я пью. Пью много, нереально много. И почему-то это помогает.

4. Я принимаю таблетку валидола. Это простое безобидное лекарство, которое вроде как расширяет сосуды, но что оно делает точно - это бодрит и освежает!

5. Я смотрюсь в зеркало. Странный способ, но мне помогает! Может быть, секрет в том, что видишь свое отражение, в котором все в порядке, и понимаешь, что все страхи - в голове! Они воображаемы и не существуют!

6. Отсюда - и следующий пункт: я иду и повторяю себе, как попугай: они воображаемы, они воображаемы, это все в моей голове. А мы ведь не позволяем определять свою жизнь какой-то воображаемой фигне, правда? 

7. И, наконец, последний прием: когда я чувствую паническую атаку, я тупо улыбаюсь. Надо просто всеми силами заставить себя изобразить на лице улыбку, буквально принудительно. Даже если это - самое последнее, чего вам в данный момент хочется!

Вот такой получился пост. Серьезный, трудный и личный. Просто захотелось поделиться чем-то из своей жизни, что остается "за кадром" легкомысленной болтовни о моде и косметике. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi dear,
    this looks amazing, could be perfect for me!

    Alice Cerea,
    BABYWHATSUP.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really meaning and I'm glad you decided to talk about this issue! I just really want to say thank you for the sweetest comment on my blog, I always try my best to return the support! You are amazing!! Keep up the good work here! <3

    www.thefacelessstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspiring! I experienced some panic attacks last year, after a difficult breakup, a surgery and while going through a horrible depression. It was horrible, I only had them a couple of times and they really drain you. I started taking medication and I came back to being the same calm and happy person, but it does require a lot of strenght, and you just gave us a huge lesson

    Natalia | Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very inspiring you were able to turn something so negative as a panic attack into something positive like writing. Losing the loved ones is the only true tragedy of life and this pain is not something that goes away easily....but we must remember that the best way to honour those we loved and lost is to be strong and to live our lives fully.

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete